Sport @ Sonrise
Sport is a popular pastime and entertainment here in Aotearoa and at Sonrise Christian School it is no exception. We value fair-play but also desire to win.
Our children have many varied talents and skills and it is important for us to provide every opportunity possible for them to be involved in whatever sport they have a passion for as well as give them a chance to try something new.
Whatever we cannot provide for here at school we help to make connections to those that can through our effective networks with other schools, School Partnership Coordinators for Primary and Intermediate levels and Regional Sports Directors for Secondary Schools.
Take a look at what’s happening right now and opportunities coming:
Whole School Events
Weekly Swimming programme with Enterprise Pools – Professional Coaching Terms 1 and 4.
Swimming Sports Junior Years 1 to 4, Senior Years 5 to10.
Athletics Days Junior Years 1 to 4, Senior Years 5 to 10.
Primary School Year Levels 1 to 6
Cricket – Terms 1 and 4 fantastic entry sport for junior Primary as well as older children.
Intermediate School Year Level 7 and 8
Secondary School Year Level 9 and 10
Wednesday Sport Run term by term over the year.
This is an afterschool option that combines with all the others high schools in Gisborne.
- Skateboarding/Scootering – Skate Park Grey Street – Shayne Kingsbeer.
- Junior Boys Basketball – GBHS gym – Schools need to provide referees and managers.
- Junior Girls Basketball – if we can get teams this will be at Lytton.
- Surfing – Advanced will be run with surfing teachers within the school.
- Learn to surf – Frank Russell at Roberts Road – 22 surfboards and wetsuits for beginners- Limited Numbers.
- New to surf students if possible.
- If students have own boards/wetsuits and still learning – Roberts Road with teacher to oversee students in the water.
- Learn to swim – GGHS pool – Rochelle Sommerton.
- Zumba – Army Hall with Freedom Fitness.
- Tennis – GGHS courts – Jo Graham – tennis racquets please balls will be provided.
- Jujitsu – Awhio Army Hall – will have a more competitive format.
- Other team sports and codes are connected one-on-one with students as needed or requested throughout the year.